[OpenIndiana-discuss] to update oi to hipster or install hipster ...

Hetrick, Joseph P joseph-hetrick at uiowa.edu
Tue Nov 8 13:59:34 UTC 2016

Hi,

  I would be very aware of the issues with zfs send/recv I have posted here and to illumos discuss before performing either activity.  If you have an OI 151aN series install I would be cautious thinking you can zfs send/receive data between them.  We have found that newer hipster/Omni releases carry something new in filesystems created that means that we cannot send datasets to ZFSoL, older (151aN) OI releases without some sort of deadlock in zfs recv.

  We’re at a bit of a standstill until something comes up explaining this.  It’s unclear to me whether or not it’s a bug in older systems or in the newer ones, or, if it’s something that should have caused a zfs version bump since clearly the older systems cannot recv filesystems from later releases.

Joe

On 11/7/16, 8:21 PM, "Bob Friesenhahn" <bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us> wrote:

On Mon, 7 Nov 2016, Harry Putnam wrote:

> I have another pair of matching mirrored disks with the main data, but
> still plenty of room on that setup to send/receive the zfs fs I do
> have on the rpool disk.
>
> Then I could just leave those data discs out of the install,
> incorporating them after.
>
> I seem to remember there being some technique to do that.
>
> Something you do prior to shutdown preceding a new install that allows
> to retrieve them after...?

If you keep your data on different disks than the root pool, then just
due 'zpool export' and then later 'zpool import'.

Thanks for asking this question.  I am also thinking about update vs
install.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn