[OpenIndiana-discuss] SFW Packages left for migration

Andreas Wacknitz A.Wacknitz at gmx.de
Wed Oct 12 20:01:32 UTC 2016

Am 12.10.16 um 12:48 schrieb Adam Števko:
> Hi,
>
>> On 12 Oct 2016, at 13:54, Marc Lobelle <marc.lobelle at uclouvain.be> wrote:
>>
>>> On 11/10/16 18:19, Aurélien Larcher wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> here is a short list of packages looking for adoption by a nice maintainer:
>>>
>>> benchmark/iozone
>>> developer/fakeroot
>>> developer/versioning/guilt
>>> editor/bvi
>>> editor/jedit
>>> image/virtualgl
>>> library/idnkit
>>> library/libosip2
>>> library/xmlrpc-c
>>> shell/shmux
>>> terminal/roxterm
>>> web/aget
>>>
>>> Considering that we have been talking about this for several months,
>>> if nobody is interested in updating them right now, I guess they
>>> should simply be deprecated instead of carrying old versions around.
>>>
>>> Aurélien
>>>
>> Some old open source programs are not maintained any more but they do well what they are supposed to do. I think xfig is in this case. However they are still usefull and used. It is always a loss of time to have to find a source and recompile it when you install a new computer with a recent OS distribution (such as OI-Hipster1604).
>>
>> There are also programs that are still maintained but of which an old version is in OI, such as cups: it is better to have an old cups than no cups at all.
>>
>> As long as such programs work I would keep them in distributions. If one does not like to have them with the others, they could somehow be flagged as old.
>>
>> I'll see if I can make a package with a working version of xfig. Can you point me to an howto (assuming I have  a working compiled version for OI).
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Marc
> https://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/Building+with+oi-userland
>
> For packaging tips look for examples in other components. Also write down any problems with the quality of the documentation, so we can make it better.
>
> Cheers,
> Adam
I would like to see is
     1. A page about build environment preparation, especially what
packages are needed (and how to install them) to build all userland packages
         Some words when you are trying to build in a zone. A
downloadable script would be nice...
     2. How and when to update the build environment.
     3. A sample for a new package (steps that are needed) and a sample
for updating an existing package.
     4. Tips (collection of best practices and caveats).

I think all this would make it easier for newcomers.

Regards
Andreas