[OpenIndiana-discuss] SFW Packages left for migration

Aurélien Larcher aurelien.larcher at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 20:08:42 UTC 2016

On Wed, Oct 12, 2016 at 10:01 PM, Andreas Wacknitz <A.Wacknitz at gmx.de>
wrote:

> Am 12.10.16 um 12:48 schrieb Adam Števko:
>
> Hi,

>>> well what they are supposed to do. I think xfig is in this case. However
>>> they are still usefull and used. It is always a loss of time to have to
>>> find a source and recompile it when you install a new computer with a
>>> recent OS distribution (such as OI-Hipster1604).
>>>
>>> There are also programs that are still maintained but of which an old
>>> version is in OI, such as cups: it is better to have an old cups than no
>>> cups at all.
>>>
>>> As long as such programs work I would keep them in distributions. If one
>>> does not like to have them with the others, they could somehow be flagged
>>> as old.
>>>
>>> I'll see if I can make a package with a working version of xfig. Can you
>>> point me to an howto (assuming I have  a working compiled version for OI).
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Marc
>>>
>> https://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/Building+with+oi-userland
>>
>> For packaging tips look for examples in other components. Also write down
>> any problems with the quality of the documentation, so we can make it
>> better.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Adam
>>
> I would like to see is
>     1. A page about build environment preparation, especially what
> packages are needed (and how to install them) to build all userland packages
>         Some words when you are trying to build in a zone. A downloadable
> script would be nice...
>     2. How and when to update the build environment.
>     3. A sample for a new package (steps that are needed) and a sample for
> updating an existing package.
>     4. Tips (collection of best practices and caveats).
>
> I think all this would make it easier for newcomers.

I need to update it but this is a start:

https://openindiana.github.io/oi-docs/dev/userland/

It is missing the recent addition of REQUIRED_PACKAGES and pre-publish.

For simple packaging tasks and provided that the system is plain Hipster,
installation in a zone is IMHO an unnecessary burden.

> Regards
> Andreas

---
Praise the Caffeine embeddings