[OpenIndiana-discuss] SFW Packages left for migration

Adam Števko adam.stevko at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 20:24:46 UTC 2016

Hi,

> I would like to see is
>    1. A page about build environment preparation, especially what packages are needed (and how to install them) to build all userland packages
>        Some words when you are trying to build in a zone. A downloadable script would be nice…

https://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/Building+with+oi-userland <https://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/Building+with+oi-userland> - this is the most up to date documentation how to get starting with oi-userland. It’s pretty much hidden as hipster content is not the first thing people will find. We need to fix this and mark/remove old content once and for all. However, wiki reorganization is more complex task and is out of scope of this email.

If you want faster way of getting up development environment setup, there is Vagrant (aimed at people not using OI as their primary system): This is currently the _FASTEST_ way to get started: https://github.com/OpenIndiana/oi-userland/blob/oi/hipster/doc/vagrant.md

We could also write some script or copy/paste commands in some wiki page, but I always thought that zone setup was easy enough for everybody. Perhaps, my judgement is shrouded by the fact that I used zones basically daily.

>    2. How and when to update the build environment.

Being rolling release, you update as often as you can.

>    3. A sample for a new package (steps that are needed) and a sample for updating an existing package.

Usually, it’s enough to do following steps (supposing you are going to package component foo, which uses configure style Makefile). In components dir:

mkdir <category>/foo
cp ../templates/configure.mk <category>/foo/Makefile
cd <category>/foo
vim Makefile

Templates can be found here: https://github.com/OpenIndiana/oi-userland/tree/oi/hipster/templates <https://github.com/OpenIndiana/oi-userland/tree/oi/hipster/templates>. As for other examples, it's best to look around components/ dir.

>    4. Tips (collection of best practices and caveats).

- vagrant
- taking advantage of ZFS
- gmake env-prep/env-check

These are more suitable for blogs. Anything in particular you are looking for?

Cheers,
Adam