[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI + MATE + KMS DVD

Мартин Бохниг opensxce at mail.ru
Mon Sep 5 13:17:59 UTC 2016

Hello Apostolos,

forgive me, but such bug "reports" are really phantastic.
Sorry if you mentioned that perhaps at some earlier points some months or years earlier, but how shall I guess it? Which hardware??
Which NVidia GPU?
Which Netbook?
Which Intel-CPU on which Intel-Chipset and hence which on-die or external on-chipset Intel-GPU?

As for IA32/i386: Possible that this is not a 100% tested/supported Hipster platform anymore.
But general hint: ldd is quite helpless (and useless) for running it against kernel modules (and the allegedly missing submodules it then claims), especially if they reside in $ISADIR.

As for IA32 vs x64: To save RAM there have always been and still are 2 distinct boot_archives feeding the ramdisk:
IA32:  /platform/i86pc/boot_archive
x64:  /platform/i86pc/amd64/boot_archive

Each only contains its corresponding native wordsize.
So that may explain your confusion.

Let me quickly check the specifics you claimed:

root@:/root# cp -i /mnt/platform/i86pc/amd64/boot_archive /ba_MATE64.gz
root@:/root# cp -i /mnt/platform/i86pc/boot_archive /ba_MATE32.gz
root@:/root# gunzip /ba_MATE64.gz
root@:/root# gunzip /ba_MATE32.gz
root@:/root# mount -F ufs -o ro,nologging /ba_MATE32 /mnt1
root@:/root# mount -F ufs -o ro,nologging /ba_MATE64 /mnt2
root@:/root# find /mnt*|grep i915
/mnt2/kernel/drv/amd64/i915
/mnt2/kernel/kmdb/amd64/i915
root@:/root# find /mnt*|grep agpmaster
/mnt1/kernel/misc/agpmaster
/mnt2/kernel/misc/amd64/agpmaster
root@:/root# find /mnt*|grep gfx_private
/mnt1/platform/i86xpv/kernel/misc/gfx_private
/mnt1/platform/i86pc/kernel/misc/gfx_private
/mnt2/platform/i86xpv/kernel/misc/amd64/gfx_private
/mnt2/platform/i86pc/kernel/misc/amd64/gfx_private
root@:/root  #

Ah, I see.
While the other drivers you claimed as being absent are still in fact there for IA32 (of course), i915/drm is not.
That's because all modern Intel-CPU's are x64 capable (most notably all with internal GPU!).
So why would anybody still want to run IA32 kernels on them?

My backport is of the Solaris12 KMS, and Oracle Solaris dropped IA32 support in 2010.
It is nevertheless technically possible to also offer modern i915/drm as IA32 binaries, and in fact in the global OS/Net diff I did just that:
http://opensxce.org/intelkms_working_testbins/Intel_DRMxKMS_S12_to_Illumos_backport__RELEASE/01__GLOBAL/00__SRC/DIFFS/illumos-gate__VANILLA__checkout20160629_git450b24a3e08dd5d6007467b18ef9cea400f7385a_____versus_____illumos-gate__checkout20160629_git450b24a3e08dd5d6007467b18ef9cea400f7385a__OpenSXCE_DRMKMS.diff.bz2

Nevertheless, as this OS/Net "community" has a somewhat scary way of "recognizing" me and "thanking" me for 11 years of community work, perhaps you noticed that certain "tribunal" events prevented that from getting incorporated (details and self-defense on opensxce.org).

But if you were really interested in i915/drm on IA32, the new stable test bins are available for download for a month now and you were also included in the OFFlist emails and received them directly as attachment 5 weeks or so ago, including INSTALL instructions.

Later I also uploaded them to opensxce.org and there they still are:

http://opensxce.org/intelkms_working_testbins/Intel_DRMxKMS_S12_to_Illumos_backport__RELEASE/01__GLOBAL/01__BINS/TAR/proto__root_i386.tar.bz2

http://opensxce.org/intelkms_working_testbins/Intel_DRMxKMS_S12_to_Illumos_backport__RELEASE/01__GLOBAL/01__BINS/TAR/INSTALL.txt

> Obviously, this may explain why my 32bit netbook
failed to boot.

"failed to boot"?
Is that a bug report?

%martin