[OpenIndiana-discuss] FlashPlayer 23 NPAPI for Linux comeback

Мартин Бохниг opensxce at mail.ru
Thu Sep 8 09:53:10 UTC 2016

Hello to all who responded to this thread.

> Time to ask an OI hipster :-) release.

Mmmh. Last time it took Adobe about 3 to 4 years until they finally released a new Adobe Acrobat Reader just recompiled for Solaris x86, by 2009.
And at the time Sun's was still there and Solaris (on the Desktop) still a reality and Solaris' OS market share still strong.

As long as Adobe doesn't finally publish the flash-plugin src code, forget Adobe.
It is unlikely they will invest a single $ into anybody porting their latest NPAPI flash plugin from LinUX to Solaris.

BTW, I noticed with the old Flash player 11.x for Solaris that Illumos still didn't properly fix the kernel.
Unlike on OpenSXCE2014.05 on Hipster it is still required to first visit  http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/ and reload the page 20 times, until most Flash-only sites finally function, even in the flash-enabled gcc compiled FF.

I saw their Flash-plugin Illumos cpu extensions diff last year, but in reality it helps little.

But in modern pretexts that's no longer my problem.
And as Apostolos correctly said:

https://openindiana.org/pipermail/openindiana-discuss/2016-September/019402.html
<sarcasm>we do not need flash plugins. This is a server OS </sarcasm> (those requiring it to administer remote server consoles should perhaps also switch to Windows 10 *lol*)

%martin