[OpenIndiana-discuss] Σχετ: FlashPlayer 23 NPAPI for Linux comeback

Peter Tribble peter.tribble at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 18:11:35 UTC 2016

On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 6:32 AM, Apostolos Syropoulos via
openindiana-discuss <openindiana-discuss at openindiana.org> wrote:

> <sarcasm>we do not need flash plugins. This is a server OS </sarcasm>

A server OS is probably more likely to be a sensible place to have flash,
as it
may be properly secured, and may be configured to limit you to accessing
only
the business-critical sites you need to get the job done rather than
leaving you
open to the whole unsavoury internet. Not having flash is, in most cases, a
feature not a bug, and has been for a very long time.

One of the longer-standing irritations I've had with losing flash is that
the BBC
relied on it. Now at least they've moved iPlayer to HTML5 so that works
fine in
Firefox on illumos without flash.

--
-Peter Tribble