[OpenIndiana-discuss] ntfs-3g

Jean-Pierre André jean-pierre.andre at wanadoo.fr
Mon Sep 26 07:35:19 UTC 2016

Мартин Бохниг via openindiana-discuss wrote:
> You are welcome, I'm glad I could help.
> BTW In theory I agree myself with your proposal to have ntfs devices automounted.
> But this would also automount huge ntfs hdd's on dual-boot systems.

Fixed devices are controlled by /etc/vfstab, you may want
to not mount them, or mount them either read-write or read-only.

> (Although: I think the rmvolmgr is smart enough to distinguish "mobile" devices from fixed storage).
> It would be similary to force-import / automount all zfs pools on a system (as on some other ZFS platforms).
>
> Are you 100% sure we want that?

I mean automounting triggered by plugging in a USB device.
You plug in the device, it mounts without having to determine
its device patch, which depends on the USB socket you have used.

Why would you plug dynamically on a running system an ntfs
device which you would not want to mount ?