[OpenIndiana-discuss] Hipster distro contents confusion

Adam Števko adam.stevko at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 07:16:47 UTC 2016

Hi,

I wouldn't consider OpenIndiana beta or alpha. There are people outvthere using it for serious stuff. Back in the days, it had a lot of users on servers, esp. storages and servers. As things went, some people migrated to OmniOS/SmartOS or even Linux with ZoL or FreeBSD.

illumos has very nice technologies and the integration between them is great experience, but not many people sre interested in. People are happy with "good enough" as Linux (that´s the reality). Also, certain areas of the system hasn't seen innovations since 2010.

Rolling release model is great for developers / experienced users who are not afraid of dealing with problems (the model works basically the same ad on Archlinux).

Are sunrays your only usecase for OI?

Cheers,
Adam