[OpenIndiana-discuss] NVIDIA GeForce 6200 LE GPU not supported on hipster

Gary Mills gary_mills at fastmail.fm
Thu Sep 29 20:48:03 UTC 2016

On Thu, Sep 29, 2016 at 07:18:26PM +0300, Alexander Pyhalov wrote:
> On 09/29/16 07:00 PM, Aurélien Larcher wrote:
>
> >Out of curiosity what are the constraints tied to such kernel modules?
> >What makes it different from pre-install/post-install stages with
> >Virtualbox for instance?
>
> Kernel modules will be part of boot archive. So I'm not sure links
> will work here. Moreover, different modules have different set of
> supported pci ids. IPS will not handle this. I mean, it can, but
> this means these packages will be exclusive, you can't install them
> simultaneously.

Perhaps it would be better to have all the nvidia drivers installed
under different names, nvidia304_drv.so for example.  I see that
Nvidia has several legacy drivers, not just one.

I see from the log that Xorg loads its NVIDIA driver from
/usr/X11/lib/modules/drivers/amd64/nvidia_drv.so and its VESA driver
from /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/amd64/vesa_drv.so .  These drivers
must in turn load the system drivers.  For example, VESA driver must
load /kernel/drv/amd64/vgatext .

I don't know how Xorg determines which video drivers to load, but
perhaps it could load more of them, one for each NVIDIA driver.

As an alternative, perhaps an NVIDIA wrapper could try each of the
real drivers in turn until it found one that worked for the installed
GPU.