[OpenIndiana-discuss] NVIDIA GeForce 6200 LE GPU not supported on hipster

Aurélien Larcher aurelien.larcher at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 16:29:34 UTC 2016

On Thu, Sep 29, 2016 at 6:18 PM, Alexander Pyhalov <alp at rsu.ru> wrote:
> On 09/29/16 07:00 PM, Aurélien Larcher wrote:
>
>> Out of curiosity what are the constraints tied to such kernel modules?
>> What makes it different from pre-install/post-install stages with
>> Virtualbox for instance?
>>

> Kernel modules will be part of boot archive. So I'm not sure links will work
> here. Moreover, different modules have different set of supported pci ids.
> IPS will not handle this. I mean, it can, but this means these packages will
> be exclusive, you can't install them simultaneously.

I think it is a lesser evil if they are mutually exclusive rather than
just dropping older driver version.
As you know my workstation has a FX3800 and when we bump to 360 I am a
screwed... so I have an interest in fixing that ;)

> If we agree that one system can't have pkg:/* installed, it becomes more
> easy. Also note, that some newer drivers could depend on libvdpau, so we
> have one more conflict - libvdpau/older nvidia driver.

Can we mediate the libvdpau symlinks to libvdpau_nvidia.so from the
nvidia 304,340 drivers?
We then put the freedesktop libvdpau in /usr/lib/xorg, symlink it to
/usr/lib only if 360 is installed.

Also libvdpau-dependent software should then link to freedesktop
libvdpau in /usr/lib/xorg.

I will check about ABI compability and what Debian does exactly.

> --
> Best regards,
> Alexander Pyhalov,
> system administrator of Southern Federal University IT department

---
Praise the Caffeine embeddings