[OpenIndiana-discuss] mirroring rpool oi html pages

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Thu Apr 6 03:22:16 UTC 2017

Reviewing the oi wiki pages before trying this out I wondered if the
material here:
https://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/2.1+Post-installation

Is still up to date?  There has been quite a lot of talk of using
whole discs everywhere possible... no slices, yet it appears that is
what is being said there.

I admit I'm not very knowledgeable about this.  But I see one of the
earlier points made under

  2.1.1 How to mirror the root disk:

"Now (on x86 only) we need to apply a default Solaris fdisk partition
to a disk: # pfexec format (choose disk 1, then run fdisk (here,
choose Y to select the 100% Solaris partition))"

Is that still true?

Further along under
2.1.1.1 GPT Partitioning (Hipster Style):

In fact in the earlier section mentioned above too, they tell you to
install grub as boot loader.

So does this whole thing predate the move to the new bootloader.

And if one is to use the new bootloader as is recomended do you still
need a solaris partition as claimed in the first section?

Oh, and one other thing there... in the first section at the 3rd
command (prtvtoc) we are suddenly dealing with a prefix of s2 on the
disk names... not s0 or p0 or d0 but s2 which indicates slice 2
doesn't it?  So what's that all about?

It would be very handy to know which parts of the advice to believe
and which (if any are outdated)

Maybe pointers to more recent advice if there is any.