[OpenIndiana-discuss] nonblocking i/o problem

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Sun Apr 9 15:35:25 UTC 2017

On 04/ 9/17 02:08 AM, Peter Tribble wrote:
> As an aside, there are limitations. The conditions were always pretty
> strict,
> so that compatibility only applies to (a) Solaris itself, and (b) only those
> interfaces explictly marked as being compatible.

Specifically those whose man pages have an attributes section listing them
as "Committed" or "Uncommitted" - anything that's "External", "Volatile",
"Private" or undocumented may break even between Solaris releases, as well
as between Solaris and illumos.

> In particular, link with the system openssl and you're in trouble.

Especially as the original S10 openssl was 0.9.8 which is no longer supported
or receiving security fixes, which is why Oracle's patching everything in S10
to use the not-completely-compatible 1.0.1 instead.

> What I've found in general is that older (pre-S10)
> applications tend to be fine, S10-native applications can be problematic.

Drivers that stick to the documented DDI interfaces should also be good, but
other kernel modules, such as filesystems, that rely on undocumented or private
kernel interfaces may really break your system.

	-alan-