[OpenIndiana-discuss] about exporting rpool

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Fri Apr 7 16:39:04 UTC 2017

Setup: Running oi bld 151_9 on hardware:
 Hardware: HP xw8600 - 2x Xeon  CPU X5470 @ 3.33GHz - 32 GB ram

I'm about to shut down the above host and attempt to install hipster
from the 161030 or maybe from the TEST isos of 170313. Even though
Alexander P. does say they are TO BE USED ONLY FOR TESTING, I've been
running that TEST iso in a vm for some weeks now with no problems at
all.

The question: I want to export the two zpools on that hardware host
before shutting it down.  rpool and one other.  However I saw
something in the `man zpool' entry that makes me think I might need to
break the mirrored pairs I'm currently running.  rpool with exact size
mirror and p0 with exact size mirror

from zpool status:
      NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        p0          ONLINE       0     0     0
          mirror-0  ONLINE       0     0     0
            c1d0    ONLINE       0     0     0
            c1d1    ONLINE       0     0     0

        NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        rpool       ONLINE       0     0     0
          mirror-0  ONLINE       0     0     0
            c0d0s0  ONLINE       0     0     0
            c0d1s0  ONLINE       0     0     0

in `man zpool' under the `zpool export [-f]' heading

   [...]

         Before exporting the pool, all datasets within the  pool
         are  unmounted.  A  pool can not be exported if it has a
         shared spare that is currently being used.

         For pools to be portable, you must give the  zpool  com-
         mand whole disks, not just slices, so that ZFS can label
         the disks with  portable  EFI  labels.  Otherwise,  disk
         drivers  on  platforms  of different endianness will not
         recognize the disks.

         -f
               Forcefully  unmount  all   datasets,   using   the
               "unmount -f" command.

               This command will forcefully export the pool  even
               if  it  has a shared spare that is currently being

It actually sounds like its referring to `spare' in the sense of one of
the raidz type pools.

Mine are exact mirrors of 2 disks.  I just want to make sure this bit
from `man zpool' is not referring to those kind of shared disks. And
that I do NOT have to break the mirrors before export.