[OpenIndiana-discuss] Preparing used disks for hipster install on x86-64bit

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Sun Apr 9 14:41:03 UTC 2017

Sorry to keep hammering on this, but I am still thoroughly confused
about how to prepare used disks for use as rpool under hipster.

I realize it is Sunday and most of you will be relaxing a bit and
probably not pounding away at newsgroups... but hopefully there will
be a few kind souls watching the group.

I'm in the middle of re-installing from 151_9 to hipster 161030.

I have two used disks I intend to use for rpool but suspect they were
once prepared with boot sector holding version 0.97 of grub and were
probably sliced at some point for install in the old way.

OK, what do I need to do (in some detail if anyone has the time for
that).

1)  The pages on oi wiki seem to suggest for x86 one needs to create a
    slice in the old way with fdisk -B.

    But there has been talk here repeatedly of using whole disks with
    new bootloader.

So, which is it?

2)  I mentioned the disks are used. They were probably once boot disks
    for bld 130 something or so.

    Do I need to dd out the mbr far enough to remove partition
    info too?  I guess that is 512 b

    Or will the install procedure on the `161030 live' do all that.

3)  It's been said here that the 161030 media will handle creating a
    mirrored rpool.

    But when I used that media to install to a vm, I never saw
    anything like that mentioned.  In fact it seemed to proceed the
    same as previous install media, creating a slice on the disk
    offered.

    When the available disks were displayed at the top of gui
    installer I saw no way to select more than 1 for installation.