[OpenIndiana-discuss] RAM/CPU usage and ZFS send/receive

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Sat Apr 15 14:59:49 UTC 2017

On 04/15/17 04:21 PM, Harry Putnam wrote:
> What I was asking was what I might expect in performance by doubling
> ram.
>
> I doubt that is in the hardware manual... it would only be learned
> from experience and I hoped someone here would have done something
> like that and be able to say what difference they saw.

Ok, I didn't understand. Real answer.. i dunno. It depends on your usage
cases.

Additional RAM is directly used by ARC for ZFS in memory caching,
you can use additional RAM to run applications close to your storage, to
be able to speed up compiling things, for database caching, for various
applications to be working faster...
So it depends on your use case, ARC settings but it you are using
deduplication, large RAM is definatevly only way to go because of that
320 bytes per block for deduplicated datasets, as mentioned. (that saves
disk space for massive vitualization or many users with similar data etc)
You can measure for your use case , describe findings in some blog post,
and actually help the rest fo the world to understand how it was going
to you. :)