[OpenIndiana-discuss] Preparing used disks for hipster install on x86-64bit

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Mon Apr 10 17:42:46 UTC 2017

Alexander Pyhalov <alp at rsu.ru> writes:

> On 04/ 9/17 05:41 PM, Harry Putnam wrote:
>
>> 3)  It's been said here that the 161030 media will handle creating a
>>     mirrored rpool.
>>
>>     But when I used that media to install to a vm, I never saw
>>     anything like that mentioned.  In fact it seemed to proceed the
>>     same as previous install media, creating a slice on the disk
>>     offered.
>>
>>     When the available disks were displayed at the top of gui
>>     installer I saw no way to select more than 1 for installation.
>
> Hi.
> Just don't use GUI installer for anything serious :)
> It's supported as legacy, and honestly, I have feeling that it either
> should be updated to be on par with text installer (any volunteers?)
> or just dropped...

Thanks for the tip, but just for the record... I did nothing
whatsoever to the disks just walked them thru the install choosing
`whole disk' options.  No dd of MBR and partition pointers or the
like.

Seemed to work ok.. I can't really report details since I pulled them
in favor of new (refurbed) 3 tb disks, I wish I'd kept at least a
`zpool status' to see if they have a slice on them.

Not suggesting this is any kind of proof or depenable report.  But
being something of a dope and an inexperienced one at that... it does
say a little something... that I was able to successfully install
hipster, opdate to current versions, and lived to talk abou it..