[OpenIndiana-discuss] Cannot install vbox on new hipster install

Geoff Nordli geoffn at gnaa.net
Fri Apr 14 06:27:04 UTC 2017

On 2017-04-13 10:06 PM, Alexander Pyhalov wrote:
> On 14.04.2017 05:45, Harry Putnam wrote:
>> Geoff Nordli <geoffn at gnaa.net> writes:
>>
>>> basically the answer is this:
>>>
>>>         build# pkgtrans VirtualBox-5.1.18-SunOS-amd64-r114002.pkg . all
>>>         Transferring <SUNWvbox> package instance
>>>         build# rm SUNWvbox/install/checkinstall
>>>         build# sed -i /checkinstall/d SUNWvbox/pkgmap
>>>         build# pkgadd -d . SUNWvbox
>>>

>> I've only used the gui to work with vms so I have a bit of learning to
>> do.
>>
>> I don't understand what is different about hipster that it just
>> absolutely cannot handle the pkgs on offer at Vbox.  I mean the ready
>> made binaries.
>>

> Hi.
> This is not about OI, it's about VirtualBox. You take binaries,
> compiled for another OS
> (some Solaris version, likely post-split) and run them on OI. The
> fact, that they worked till now
> is a pure luck. Now they added explicit dependency on old compiler,
> which is evidently
> used by Solaris, but has never been used by OI (/dev or /hipster).
> Should we import outdated
> and unsupported compiler version just to run one specific application?
> I don't think so.
>
> Luckily it's open source, and we can recompile it. Aurelien has a
> working component,
> and he will likely put it for review when he has free time (he can't
> work on OI in 24x7 rhythm).
> When he does this, you can help with reviewing and testing.
>
> For now Geoff proposed working workaround.
> ---

Yes, I echo those comments.

Virtualbox is an excellent hypervisor.  Hopefully a package can get
created for OI and can also be used on on Omnios.

Just a thought, you can probably stick with the 5.0.x series for now.
That is what I am running now on production systems and it is good
enough.  I normally don't upgrade to the current release until it the
current branch stabilizes.  I just started looking at it a few weeks
ago, because I figured it was getting fully baked.

If you are doing servers you are going to want to get the SMF service
wrapper by Jim.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/vboxsvc/

Have a great day!!
Geoff