[OpenIndiana-discuss] ZFS on Openindiana vs ZFS on oracle linux

C. R. Oldham cro at ncbt.org
Fri Apr 21 18:06:04 UTC 2017

For Ubuntu, it is an effort to get ZFS on the root partition.  See
these wiki entries:

https://github.com/zfsonlinux/zfs/wiki/Ubuntu

I have several machines installed with these instructions on 16.04,
16.10, and 17.04.  They do work, but it's a pain to get it installed.

Note that ZoL does have a couple of limitations that can make it
challenging to use it as the backing store for KVM.  We have an
OpenNebula private cloud and some of qemu's caching options will cause
the VMs not to start, claiming the FS underneath doesn't expose the
right primitives.  I left the OS on ZFS on those machines and
converted the partitions where the VMs keep their disks to XFS.

--cro