[OpenIndiana-discuss] dell r730xd + SATA

Jason Matthews jason at broken.net
Sun Apr 30 03:39:32 UTC 2017

Andrew,

First let me say, you response was both thoughtful and articulate. Thanks.

However, I am familiar with all of these legacy issues. Some seven or
eight years has passed since all this bruja-ha went down. I am
interested in examining how modern high grade equipment performs today.

This notion of it is not being supported is non-sense. It 100%
transparent to the operating system. The question is, how well will it
work. In 2009, not so well. How about today? Once manufacturers produce
gear that works as advertised and that gear interoperates with others
then it is suddenly supported. So let's just set that aside for now. It
is a silly circular ascertain (forgive me if I am mashing up your
response with Nikola's).

What you are basically describing is forwarding and/or firmware issues
in the expanders and drives. Intel, in my opinion did a fantastic job
with their firmware. Perhaps it doesnt drop phy as you suggest. Perhaps
the expanders are better at dealing with issues.

I suppose my point is, we are not going to know how well these
configurations work unless someone looks at the issue periodically. I
think eight years is enough time to give it another look.

j.