[OpenIndiana-discuss] Reboot failed after Hipster upgrade

Gary Mills gary_mills at fastmail.fm
Mon Aug 7 20:48:00 UTC 2017

One of my systems has an ASUS M2NPV-VM motherboard with an AMD
Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+.  It has an NVIDIA GPU
GeForce 6200 LE video card, for which I installed the
NVIDIA-Solaris-x86-304.132.run product.  It's running a Hipster
version from 2016-09-30.

When I attempted to upgrade to a Hipster version from 2017-08-07, the
install proceeded normally, but the reboot never completed.  The
console (USB) keyboard went dead.  The progress bar on the monitor ran
forever.  There was nothing on the monitor but that progress bar.  I
couldn't login remotely, either.  I had to hold down the power button
to stop it.

After that, I was able to select the previous BE from the GRUB menu.
That worked normally.  I could mount the upgraded BE to examine it,
but none of the log files were new enough to have come from the
reboot.

What can I do to enable the upgrade and reboot to succeed?