[OpenIndiana-discuss] Reboot failed after Hipster upgrade

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Fri Aug 11 08:17:20 UTC 2017

On 08/ 7/17 10:48 PM, Gary Mills wrote:
> One of my systems has an ASUS M2NPV-VM motherboard with an AMD
> Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+.  It has an NVIDIA GPU
> GeForce 6200 LE video card, for which I installed the
> NVIDIA-Solaris-x86-304.132.run product.  It's running a Hipster
> version from 2016-09-30.
>
> When I attempted to upgrade to a Hipster version from 2017-08-07, the
> install proceeded normally, but the reboot never completed.  The
> console (USB) keyboard went dead.  The progress bar on the monitor ran
> forever.  There was nothing on the monitor but that progress bar.  I
> couldn't login remotely, either.  I had to hold down the power button
> to stop it.
>
> After that, I was able to select the previous BE from the GRUB menu.
> That worked normally.  I could mount the upgraded BE to examine it,
> but none of the log files were new enough to have come from the
> reboot.
>
> What can I do to enable the upgrade and reboot to succeed?

It is probably the case of broken loader after the update.

See Openindiana announcements on:
https://www.openindiana.org/category/announcements/,
specifically,
https://www.openindiana.org/2017/02/27/issues-with-loader-leading-to-unbootable-systems/.

Since you are on an older machine, you may additionaly hit one more slow
boot problem, or you may not.
If you do, you can update stop by step form first May osnet/userland
still in repo to see when it hits if it does.