[OpenIndiana-discuss] Reboot failed after Hipster upgrade

Gary Mills gary_mills at fastmail.fm
Sun Aug 13 02:38:34 UTC 2017

On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 10:17:20AM +0200, Nikola M wrote:
> On 08/ 7/17 10:48 PM, Gary Mills wrote:
> >
> >When I attempted to upgrade to a Hipster version from 2017-08-07, the
> >install proceeded normally, but the reboot never completed.  The
> >console (USB) keyboard went dead.  The progress bar on the monitor ran
> >forever.  There was nothing on the monitor but that progress bar.  I
> >couldn't login remotely, either.  I had to hold down the power button
> >to stop it.
> >
> >After that, I was able to select the previous BE from the GRUB menu.
> >That worked normally.  I could mount the upgraded BE to examine it,
> >but none of the log files were new enough to have come from the
> >reboot.
>
> It is probably the case of broken loader after the update.

I suspect you are right.

> See Openindiana announcements on:
> https://www.openindiana.org/category/announcements/,
> specifically,
> https://www.openindiana.org/2017/02/27/issues-with-loader-leading-to-unbootable-systems/.

So, the boot failure is caused by old code in the MBR.  Will upgrading
the MBR affect booting of the existing BEs?  I'm using GRUB for those,
and for the new BE as well.  I don't want to do anything that prevents
booting my older BEs in case something is still wrong with the new
one.