[OpenIndiana-discuss] Reboot failed after Hipster upgrade

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Thu Aug 17 14:17:06 UTC 2017

On 08/13/17 04:38 AM, Gary Mills wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 10:17:20AM +0200, Nikola M wrote:
>
>> It is probably the case of broken loader after the update.
> I suspect you are right.
>
>> See Openindiana announcements on:
>> https://www.openindiana.org/category/announcements/,
>> specifically,
>> https://www.openindiana.org/2017/02/27/issues-with-loader-leading-to-unbootable-systems/.
> So, the boot failure is caused by old code in the MBR.  Will upgrading
> the MBR affect booting of the existing BEs?  I'm using GRUB for those,
> and for the new BE as well.  I don't want to do anything that prevents
> booting my older BEs in case something is still wrong with the new
> one.

If BE needs to be booted using illumos loader (in MBR), loader needs to
be installed inside that BE, to be able to boot it. All BEs that are
supposed to be booted with loader need to have installed illumos loader
package in them.

Moving to loader does prevent booting older BEs without loader. Leaping
to using illumos loader is a leap ahead.
So older BEs need to be changed (beadm mount them and install loader
inside of them).