[OpenIndiana-discuss] Miass OpenSolaris WebStack

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Mon Aug 28 14:50:30 UTC 2017

On 08/28/17 03:22 AM, Илья Архипкин wrote:
> I dropped the connection on the router, the server was slightly unavailable. In
> general, I need somewhere to get the source code from OpenSolaris. And what
Hi, can you try responding to the list with 'reply button' so the
replies are in the thread.

Source code and patches for illumos and Openindiana are on Github.
Anyone not having access to Github?
Also before building, source code archives are downloaded to OI build
servers,
but source per-published snapshot and every upgrade is not available in
archive-per package form nor it's snapshots, because creating source
code snapshots is not valued as an idea
(https://www.illumos.org/issues/8256#change-20481).

Old sources, new upstream sources:
https://hg.openindiana.org/  (certificate needs fixing, reported 2
months ago..)
Illumos sources:
http://src.illumos.org/source/
OI userlland sources (pull upstream archives during the build time):
https://github.com/OpenIndiana/oi-userland
OI build time sources archives mirror:
http://dlc.openindiana.org/oi-userland/source-archives/ (please download
archives from upstream projects directly, this is fail-safe only)

All OI sources:
https://github.com/OpenIndiana
OI illumos-gate (syncing with upstream)
https://github.com/OpenIndiana/illumos-gate

> if you take the code from OpenIndiana and just call it OpenSolaris? I'm

Regarding re-using Opensolaris trademark, logos, etc it was Sun's
ownership and now Oracle's, but it was available (and no one could say
still isn't) under fair use , providing that it is said "it is based on
Opensolaris" etc.
(https://web.archive.org/web/20081229011431/http://opensolaris.org:80/os/about/faq/trademark_faq/
,
https://web.archive.org/web/20090108225456/http://opensolaris.org/os/trademark/)

Code is always under therit respective licenses so every separate
project or package have it's own license, where Openindiana contributed
code is CDDL unless explicitly said otherwise.

It is the question of market recognition and control over the brand
name, that it is better for the new projects, even if reusing the code
from other projects, to be recognized with a new name, no tto add to
confusion etc, but yes, re-using "based on Opensolaris", logos, old
Opensolaris branding, etc. is allowed for reuse,
whereas illumos branding and Openindiana branding is tied to their
respective projects and is not.

Maybe most clever thing to do is for you to invent your own distribution
name , pull everything from OI and continue pulling, create your own
patches that create all branding and inject other and.. then start
maintaining things you want and contribute packages :)

Much easier path is to just create your project site and Git repository,
build it locally and publish to soem publicly-visible IPS publisher
repository and after it is tested to be working, contribute packages to
Oi-userland and leave OI as it is.

> waiting for an offer from system programmers who will write code on a
> non-qualitative basis. Can even put some on commercial tracks. We first
> need to dial users, and then provide system administration and web server
> consulting services. We can do this, is there something illegal here?

Generally, asking to hire people to work on Openindiana, illumos ,
Opensolaris-derived or other illumos distributions, is more then welcome.
Having already organized budget, defined tasks requirements and
customers can help for you in attracting higher quality people, of course.