[OpenIndiana-discuss] HDMI and sound

ken mays maybird1776 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 28 15:04:01 UTC 2017

Professionally speaking, don't use the Nvidia audio processor for any serious work.Either use a good audio processor on the motherboard or a dedicated sound card/device (highly preferred).
I'm speaking mainly on the Nvidia audio processors integrated on their graphic cards. You can use it forBlu-Ray/DVD/Youtube/VLC playback for basic use. Anything display unit over a resolution of 1080p (1920 × 1080) is bad if you think of using it for high-end video/music streaming.
Again, use it only for very basic use. Otherwise, the audio processing becomes unstable.I suggest not using it at all, but if you do - heed the warning...
~ Ken

On Sunday, August 27, 2017, 11:23:30 PM PDT, Udo Grabowski (IMK) <udo.grabowski at kit.edu> wrote:

On 27/08/2017 21:34, Apostolos Syropoulos via openindiana-discuss wrote:
>> Not having similar hardware, I can't try for myself.  But have you tried googling for the words
>> audio hdmi solaris nvidia
>
> Someone suggested to use the relink trick described below
> https://alanhargreaves.wordpress.com/2011/04/17/making-audio-default-to-a-second-sound-device-in-solaris-11/
> but it is not working in my case. And this the easiest trick to do. SO I asked just in case someonehas done it and it is working. In theory everything works just fine.

If you open audio control, there should be a selector
at the top for the device - maybe some controls are
not set up correctly.