[OpenIndiana-discuss] HDMI and sound

Apostolos Syropoulos asyropoulos at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 28 15:30:59 UTC 2017

>Professionally speaking, don't use the Nvidia audio processor for any serious work.Either use a good audio >processor on the motherboard or a dedicated sound card/device (highly preferred).>I'm speaking mainly on the Nvidia audio processors integrated on their graphic cards. You can use it for>Blu-Ray/DVD/Youtube/VLC playback for basic use.
Thank you very much for this really important hint. As I said in my first message I wanted to be able toreduce the number of cables on my desk. But now I have discovered a more pragmatic reason: All new videocards do not have VGA ports so most people have to use an HDMI cable. Now suppose I do not want to usethe nVidia audio processor, how can I still use the onboard audio processor? In my case, there is no sound when I use an HDMI cable. In different words, HDMI means no sound. Question: Has anybody successfully usedHDMI and the onboard audio? Maybe my hardware is completely problematic.

A.S.

Apostolos Syropoulos
Xanthi, Greece