[OpenIndiana-discuss] Pending Desktop features for 2017.04 need volunteers

Aurélien Larcher aurelien.larcher at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 21:09:25 UTC 2017

Hello,
You are right.
I took the liberty of posting dev-related things to the discuss list to be
more inclusive and get broader feedback.

> Packaging was one area where I really thought I could contribute.  So
> far I have successfully contributed one package (a font), and the
> contribution process was far more difficult than I anticipated.  A large
> part of that is because my familiarity is with older version control
> systems like subversion, not with the git/github workflow.  I plan to
> to try again with other software, but for now it will have to be the
> simplest tasks.

Yes it requires some learning, it took me some time to get started.

I tried to summarize the workflow here:

http://hub.openindiana.ninja/?q=content/git-workflow

> With the changes you've made to shared-macros.mk, aren't many of the
> packages already rebuilding with libjpeg-turbo when the automated build
> happens?

Not really because for backward compatibility IJG libjpeg should stay in
/usr/lib.

I defined JPEG_* macros at:

https://github.com/OpenIndiana/oi-userland/blob/oi/hipster/make-rules/shared-macros.mk#L701

so these compilation and link flags should be added to any component using
libjpeg.

> If that's true, isn't the main task to update the dependencies for each
> of the listed packages, so they depend on libjpeg-turbo rather than the
> IJG version?

The task is to:
1) add the JPEG_CFLAGS, JPEG_CXXFLAGS. JPEG_LDFLAGS such that libjpeg-turbo
is picked
2) update the dependencies as you suggested.

Kind regards

Aurélien

> Tim
> --
> Tim Mooney                                             Tim.Mooney at ndsu.edu
> Enterprise Computing & Infrastructure                  701-231-1076
> (Voice)
> Room 242-J6, Quentin Burdick Building                  701-231-8541 (Fax)
> North Dakota State University, Fargo, ND 58105-5164

---
Praise the Caffeine embeddings