[OpenIndiana-discuss] Pending Desktop features for 2017.04 need volunteers

Tim Mooney Tim.Mooney at ndsu.edu
Thu Feb 9 23:10:45 UTC 2017

In regard to: Re: [OpenIndiana-discuss] Pending Desktop features for...:

> Hello,
> You are right.
> I took the liberty of posting dev-related things to the discuss list to be
> more inclusive and get broader feedback.

I'm really happy you do that!  I think it's wonderful, and I'm hoping
that it will encourage additional people to get involved and help out.
Please keep doing so.

My comments about discuss vs. dev were only in relation to some of the
longer, non-dev threads on this list that seemed to have angered you, not
about you pointing out dev tasks that others could help with.

>> Packaging was one area where I really thought I could contribute.  So
>> far I have successfully contributed one package (a font), and the
>> contribution process was far more difficult than I anticipated.  A large
>> part of that is because my familiarity is with older version control
>> systems like subversion, not with the git/github workflow.  I plan to
>> to try again with other software, but for now it will have to be the
>> simplest tasks.
>
> Yes it requires some learning, it took me some time to get started.
>
> I tried to summarize the workflow here:
>
> http://hub.openindiana.ninja/?q=content/git-workflow

Your git workflow summary, Michael's updated contributing docs, and the
wiki contributing document are all things I referenced while working through
my first package contribution.

When I do my next package contribution, I'm going to try keep better
notes, so I can also submit some feedback or updates for the documentation
itself.  For example, I found that there were some inconsistencies between

 	http://docs.openindiana.org/dev/userland/

and

 	https://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/Building+with+oi-userland

I'll take notes on the rough spots I run into and find ways to help
improve the docs.

>> With the changes you've made to shared-macros.mk, aren't many of the
>> packages already rebuilding with libjpeg-turbo when the automated build
>> happens?
>>

> Not really because for backward compatibility IJG libjpeg should stay in
> /usr/lib.
>
> I defined JPEG_* macros at:
>
> https://github.com/OpenIndiana/oi-userland/blob/oi/hipster/make-rules/shared-macros.mk#L701
>
> so these compilation and link flags should be added to any component using
> libjpeg.
>

>> If that's true, isn't the main task to update the dependencies for each
>> of the listed packages, so they depend on libjpeg-turbo rather than the
>> IJG version?
>>

> The task is to:
> 1) add the JPEG_CFLAGS, JPEG_CXXFLAGS. JPEG_LDFLAGS such that libjpeg-turbo
> is picked
> 2) update the dependencies as you suggested.

One github pull request per package that gets updated?  Or a pull request
for each group (batch) of packages that someone gets done in a session of
work?

I know it would not be possible for me to get every package done in one
session, so if I were to even attempt to help with this, I would have to
spread the work out over the course of many days.

Also, I noted that many of the packages that need to be updated are
themselves libraries (tiff, gd, lcms2) that other packages will depend upon.
Are there any special considerations for packages like tiff or gd, or is
it sufficient to test that e.g. tiff will build correctly with
libjpeg-turbo, and let the integration system test that dependencies on
tiff still build?

Tim
Room 242-J6, Quentin Burdick Building                  701-231-8541 (Fax)