[OpenIndiana-discuss] Any 32-bit users?

Peter Tribble peter.tribble at gmail.com
Sun Feb 12 11:40:03 UTC 2017

On Sat, Feb 11, 2017 at 5:06 PM, ken mays via openindiana-discuss <
openindiana-discuss at openindiana.org> wrote:

> Peter,
> 1. Yes. Many end users still own old 32-bit Pentium 4-based desktops and
> laptops.

While true, that wasn't the question. The question is whether people are
actively
using OpenIndiana on said hardware.

> 2. Yes, OI could ship 64-bit only applications/drivers/etc.

And such software exists.

There are some applications that are 64-bit only by design - Go and anything
written in it is an example here, and that's getting to be quite a large
ecosystem.

Then there are things that are shipped 64-bit by default - JDK8 is the
obvious one, you can build it either 32 or 64 but on Solaris the default
build
is 64-bits.

And then there's the fact that the upstream Oracle useland gate is aimed
at a platform (Solaris) that no longer supports 32-bit hardware, so they can
(and are doing so) choose to remove 32-bit support for certain applications.
Hence OI can either follow them (and drop 32-bit support), or take on the
maintenance burden of building a different bitness or bi-arch packages.

OI has recent binary core snapshots and FOSS packages supporting 32-bit
> platforms. Having a 64-bit only core distro snapshot and packages is just
> forward thinking. Package maintainers can support either selection - but it
> is no longer the norm to support both selections (32/64-bit packaging) if
> the demand is not justified).
> - Ken
>

>     On Saturday, February 11, 2017 8:29 AM, Peter Tribble <
> peter.tribble at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>  Something that came up in discussion while we were at FOSDEM was
> whether it's safe to ship 64-bit only applications in OpenIndiana.
>
> Which begs the obvious question - is anyone running OpenIndiana on
> hardware that isn't 64-bit? Please reply if so.
>
> To check, use the isainfo command. If "isainfo -k" returns "amd64"
> (or "isainfo -b" returns "64") then you're running in 64-bit and should
> happily ignore this question. If you get "i386" or "32" respectively
> then it would be nice to know.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> -Peter Tribble