[OpenIndiana-discuss] Any 32-bit users?

Peter Tribble peter.tribble at gmail.com
Sun Feb 12 12:01:13 UTC 2017

On Sat, Feb 11, 2017 at 6:02 PM, Nikola M <minikola at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 02/11/17 05:29 PM, Peter Tribble wrote:
>
>> Something that came up in discussion while we were at FOSDEM was
>> whether it's safe to ship 64-bit only applications in OpenIndiana.
>>
>> Which begs the obvious question - is anyone running OpenIndiana on
>> hardware that isn't 64-bit? Please reply if so.
>>

> I have Asus eeepc that is 32-bit only,

That was a fairly popular platform back in the early OpenSolaris days.
Although (depending on model) it's not just the bitness of the cpu that's
the problem, most of the eeepc and similar had pretty small RAM and
storage provision. That's going to be a general problem - 32-bit systems
may not have enough memory or disk to run a fairly heavyweight OS like
OpenIndiana successfully.

> that I installed Linux onto on notice that 32bit is not supported for
> illumos for the future.

I haven't seen any suggestion that illumos drop 32-bit support. I mean,
clearly it will eventually (if nothing else, it's the easiest way to fix
time_t
in 2038). That said, there's a clear shift in a lot of software (and other
mainstream distros) that 64-bits is becoming the norm.

--
-Peter Tribble