[OpenIndiana-discuss] Pending Desktop features for 2017.04 need volunteers

Aurélien Larcher aurelien.larcher at gmail.com
Sun Feb 12 16:24:48 UTC 2017

Hi Tim,
sorry for the late reply.

> When I do my next package contribution, I'm going to try keep better
> notes, so I can also submit some feedback or updates for the documentation
> itself.  For example, I found that there were some inconsistencies between
>
>         http://docs.openindiana.org/dev/userland/
>
> and
>
>         https://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/Building+with+oi-userland
>
> I'll take notes on the rough spots I run into and find ways to help
> improve the docs.

Great :) I should also look at reorganizing some notes on the Wiki.

> One github pull request per package that gets updated?  Or a pull request
> for each group (batch) of packages that someone gets done in a session of
> work?

One PR per package would be better, let us favour incremental changes.
You can pick one package at a time (start with the one you find to be the
easiest) and ask for help/review.
It is also easier to manage for reviewers.

> Also, I noted that many of the packages that need to be updated are
> themselves libraries (tiff, gd, lcms2) that other packages will depend
> upon.
> Are there any special considerations for packages like tiff or gd, or is
> it sufficient to test that e.g. tiff will build correctly with
> libjpeg-turbo, and let the integration system test that dependencies on
> tiff still build?

Technically both jpeg libraries provide the same functionality so there
should not be any issue.
If tests are provided, make sure they pass (or at least reproduce same
failures as before).
If a dependency needs rebuild you need to trigger it by bumping the
COMPONENT_REVISION variable in the makefile (set to zero by default).
You may want to check Debian's migration notes if there are known corner
cases.

Thank you

Aurélien

> Tim
> --
> Tim Mooney                                             Tim.Mooney at ndsu.edu
> Enterprise Computing & Infrastructure                  701-231-1076
> (Voice)
> Room 242-J6, Quentin Burdick Building                  701-231-8541 (Fax)
> North Dakota State University, Fargo, ND 58105-5164

---
Praise the Caffeine embeddings