[OpenIndiana-discuss] oi-userland for SPARC

Gary Mills gary_mills at fastmail.fm
Tue Feb 28 17:23:49 UTC 2017

On Mon, Feb 27, 2017 at 11:09:25PM +0100, Adam Števko wrote:
> Hey Gary,
>
> I am sorry, but as of this moment we don’t have any way to test and
> merge these changes into oi-userland. SPARC is not an officially
> supported OpenIndiana hardware platform.

Of course SPARC is not an officially supported platform.  That's our
goal, not the current situation.  We can't reach that goal in one
giant leap, either.  That's why I, and a few others, are building
oi-userland components on SPARC.  We will have to take several smaller
steps to reach that goal.

> The current plan is as follows:
> - get latest bootable sparc system

After you acquire the hardware, you'll only be able to boot oi_151a8
on it; that's the latest that's available.  There's no Hipster for
SPARC right now.  That's what we want to achieve.

> - run java/jenkins on it
>
> After we have this small build infrastructure, massive work can
> happen on the userland front - fast rebuild, separate SPARC repo etc
> - everything the hipster branch has.

That's impossible now, as I mentioned above.  We, the SPARC
developers, already have the SPARC hardware.  We are the ones doing
the work.

> As for your changes, I would
> suggest to keep commit per component change and publish to a repo,
> where it can be downloaded from.

My changes only modify the build system.  They certainly can be tested
on x86 hardware, even though they are designed to have no effect on
the build on that hardware.  Most will only need inspection to confirm
that they are suitable.  They don't need to be tested on SPARC
hardware immediately.  The developers can do that.

What we really need right now is a package repository that's available
only to the SPARC developers.  That way we can cooperate in building
packages until we get enough to produce an ISO.  It and the repository
can be the starting point for your automated build system.