[OpenIndiana-discuss] The end is near

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Fri Jan 20 00:44:24 UTC 2017

On 01/19/17 12:38 AM, Fred Liu wrote:
> From that roadmap, my understanding is there is no on-premise and standalone Solaris and SPARC releases after 2017 and everything goes into cloud.

Then you're misunderstanding the roadmap, which shows both on-premise & cloud
releases going forward until at least 2021.

> So data-machine and fishwork-storage are some kinds of variations from Solaris and SPARC, if users want to touch by hand.

ZFS Storage Appliances ("fishworks") use x86 CPUs and their own OS versions,
with their own release schedules.   You can't make any assumptions about
them based on the roadmap for CPU's they don't use or OS versions they don't
use.

	-alan-