[OpenIndiana-discuss] Dual booting oi151a7 & hipster-using-grub?

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Fri Jan 20 08:54:24 UTC 2017

20 января 2017 г. 7:17:13 CET, Hans J Albertsson <hans.j.albertsson at gmail.com> пишет:
>A friend, who used to work for Sun, suggested a wee bit vaguely but
>still,
>a way to populate a new BE with a new install rather than an upgrade.
>
>Create new be
>Mount it on /mnt
>Cd /mnt
>rm -rf *
>Install new stuff on a new be on a temp disk
>Zfs send/recv new stuff into /mnt
>
>What say you?
>Can this be done, and what gotchas are there?
>
>Hans J. Albertsson
>From my Nexus 5

A pretty reasonable way, I updated SXCE to OI in a similar manner. Some gotchas may be:

* mismatch of zfs/zpool versions so send/recv would complain - then you can create datasets and manualky enter properties, and rsync the filesystem data;
* device driver enumeration will likely differ, so you'd spend some time migrating network etc. configs
* GUI backend may be pretty different so also driver and config migration;
* if you tuned some kernel settings, drivers/modules, etc. - expect to pore over changes too ;)

Otherwise a good way to go ;)

Jim
--
Typos courtesy of K-9 Mail on my Samsung Android