[OpenIndiana-discuss] Dual booting oi151a7 & hipster-using-grub?

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Fri Jan 20 08:57:21 UTC 2017

20 января 2017 г. 7:17:13 CET, Hans J Albertsson <hans.j.albertsson at gmail.com> пишет:
>A friend, who used to work for Sun, suggested a wee bit vaguely but
>still,
>a way to populate a new BE with a new install rather than an upgrade.
>
>Create new be
>Mount it on /mnt
>Cd /mnt
>rm -rf *
>Install new stuff on a new be on a temp disk
>Zfs send/recv new stuff into /mnt
>
>What say you?
>Can this be done, and what gotchas are there?
>
>Hans J. Albertsson
>From my Nexus 5

Looking at that routine - you don't even have to create the new be if you plan to remove stuff. Maybe faster would be to edit the grub menu.lst directly and copy/adapt the entry.

Btw another gotcha - by default new installs will use new loader and not grub. Google around how to fall back so your dualboot's loader is not replaced into something oi151a7 might have hard time with.
--
Typos courtesy of K-9 Mail on my Samsung Android