[OpenIndiana-discuss] Is it possible to arrange for dual booting oi hipster and Solaris 11.3 on a single disk?

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Sat Jan 21 09:54:02 UTC 2017

20 января 2017 г. 22:20:09 CET, Peter Tribble <peter.tribble at gmail.com> пишет:
>On Thu, Jan 19, 2017 at 9:18 PM, Hans J Albertsson <
>hans.j.albertsson at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm  just wondering.
>

>I would say not.
>
>If you just have the one disk, then you're limited to them sharing the
>same
>disk partition (there are limitations about there only being one
>solaris
>partition
>on a disk) and thus they have to be in the same zfs pool.
>
>Which means you have to create the root pool with zfs version 28 and
>make
>sure neither OS does a zpool upgrade.
>
>But the likely killer is that they use different bootloaders. S11.3 is
>GRUB2
>and OI is either legacy grub or the new loader.
>
>If they were on different disks you would be OK, because you just chain
>one from the other, but needing two different bootloaders on the same
>disk
>would be a bit of an insurmountable problem.

Well, for the adventurous, there may be a possibility by making several slices in one partition. Certainly one can use the same disk for different pools - the problem is coercing the installer into that, but if Hans plans an install elsewhere (e.g. a VM) and zfs send or rsync to bring it over to physical disk - this bit is solved. Loaders and chaining is another adventure. Might also try VirtualBox installed in the first OS with a VM for second to which you delegated the other slice/partition.

Also, I think several MBR/GRUB partitions can be used de-facto (e.g. when you create a zpool manually with cxtydzpn vdev addressing), even if tools do not offer support for it.

IMHO, forcing a zfs v28 pool and coexisting in BEs on same slice and managing the loaders somehow would be easier ;)

And VMs yet easier. VirtualBox runs on either.

Jim
--
Typos courtesy of K-9 Mail on my Samsung Android