[OpenIndiana-discuss] 2031 is near

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Sat Jan 28 07:33:15 UTC 2017

On 01/24/17 07:52 PM, Apostolos Syropoulos via openindiana-discuss wrote:
>> Apart form Christian references.. ;) (that actually never came into life
>> or were constantly coming again , for one's frame of reference),
> What do you mean by Christian references? Also, are there Muslim references?
"end of the world" references are overwhelmingly culturally present to
put people into fear state.
At least, support up till 2034 does not correlate right with any of
that. (Maybe: "2031 is near" :) )

Topic name (end) is more of an mantra then something. Who's end, what to
end? Basically nothing but reference to "media" bias that was published
on news sites in previous days. (and we all know how sites and
publicists are click-loving)

>> I only see renaming it to 11.x and stating in Alan's posted PDF link,
>> S11.x support is there for long after 2021, but 2031 and 2034.
> It is a matter of interpretation. Some years ago I was getting many messages
> in the solaris-x86 mailing list and now I get one every six months... This

Some interpretations tend to create another realities based on assumptions.
Mailing lists tend to be moved, stopped from functioning for various
reasons. What is that Solaris x86 list?

> is an indication that people are not using Solaris anymore.

Is indication of nothing in particularly important, for example, do you
know how, say,
distrowatch site measures "popularity" of distributions (that many
interpret as usage)?
- By measuring how many site visitors click on distribution
descriptions.. not very precise to say at least.

It could be that people like more open products then proprietary ones..
that could be true.

> Going further
> I would say that Oracle is not making money from Solaris, or at least the
> money they were expecting. If Oracle is not making money from Solaris, they

All free software projects actually exist supported by people and
companies that are payed or make money/make use of software for
production use.
Both companies, individuals and communities could be doing the right
things in managing their ways of contribution.
And it goes both ways, it is never good to bash products and it's use
based on assumptions, even if usage scenarios change over time.

As no one is not Oracle we only know what interpretations are released
by various sites, based on rumors, pictures , projects renaming and
assumptions.
Sounds more to me as chasing of UFOs then analysis. :)

> will shut it down or they will denote it, just like they did with OpenOffice.

I exactly do not expect Solaris going anyway but being solid solution
for the long-term support.
If anyone missed it, Oracle have faster SPARC products then x86 and
software in silicon and OS is needed for that.
They are missing the point in some other areas but both technological
base and long term support are not questioned.

For OpenOffice, they did no such thing, basically, schism and bashing
from 'LibreOffice' people never stopped and that kind of irrational fear
of companies is unsound. Anyway, OpenOffice was head over to the Apache
foundation and that is a good thing, yet 'rolling released' vs ' named
versions' differences are also there.

> Of course, Apache Open Office is a total failure but this is another story.

Well, it seems that many in various communities fear of one-company
project control , but at the same time, production use actually
_requires_ a company for a support contracts and maintaining software
and systems.

Communities have to decide in their heads if they want to have an option
of payed support or not and I can only guess the real battle between
company vs community control over projects brand names and established
products development paths is for - paying customers.

Companies showed that they are capable of having quality support for
paying customers , but being more rigid in the process, whereas
communities are more open to changes but constantly have problems with
money flows.

It is the fact that after taking over Sun , Oracle did not
recognize/utilize that Opensolaris projects and people and that it is
supposed to bring boost to support and systems sales and how open vs
closed is important for the public relations.
But on the other hand bunch of people cast out Oracle 'just because'.
It all boils down to what type of customer company wants to attract and
Oracle attracts deep-pocket long-support customers.

illumos/Openindiana distributions attraction is between previous Linux
users who found something better on this side.