[OpenIndiana-discuss] 2031 is near

Apostolos Syropoulos asyropoulos at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 28 14:19:11 UTC 2017

> Topic name (end) is more of an mantra then something. Who's end, what to
> end? Basically nothing but reference to "media" bias that was
> published
> on news sites in previous days. (and we all know how sites and
> publicists are click-loving)

Well I know that where is smoke, there is fire.

> "end of the world" references are overwhelmingly culturally present to
> put people into fear state.

OK but you have to admit that many things ended in the history of
computing.

> At least, support up till 2034 does not correlate right with any of
> that. (Maybe: "2031 is near" :) )

Provided this and that will happen but they will not happen...

> Some interpretations tend to create another realities based on assumptions.
> Mailing lists tend to be moved, stopped from functioning for various
> reasons. What is that Solaris x86 list?

In a sense it was the official forum of solaris x86 users. In good old times,
I could received even 50 messages in a day. Now the list practically dead...

> I exactly do not expect Solaris going anyway but being solid solution
> for the long-term support.

This will happen only if people are paying Oracle...

> Anyway, OpenOffice was head over to the Apache
> foundation and that is a good thing, yet 'rolling released' vs '
> named versions' differences are also there.

They could not do otherwise and that is why they gave it away.
In fact, who would buy OpenOffice when LibreOffice could do the
same things and it was free! There was no profit for them. And

although they have "donated" to the "community", they cannot
modify the code so to replace the compiler for Solaris-like
systems to GCC and so it is impossible to compile it under any
Solaris-like system. Obviously, it does not compile under Solaris
either. Big donation!

But I am stopping here. I will not reply to any message on this topic
any more.

A.S.