[OpenIndiana-discuss] 2031 is near

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Sat Jan 28 22:59:45 UTC 2017

On 01/28/17 03:19 PM, Apostolos Syropoulos via openindiana-discuss wrote:
>> Topic name (end) is more of an mantra then something. Who's end, what to
>> end? Basically nothing but reference to "media" bias that was
>> published
>> on news sites in previous days. (and we all know how sites and
>> publicists are click-loving)
>>

> Well I know that where is smoke, there is fire.

Yeah or someone is making the smoke, to attract main course showing up
at dinner... :)

>> "end of the world" references are overwhelmingly culturally present to
>> put people into fear state.
> OK but you have to admit that many things ended in the history of
> computing.

And it is surely not Solaris, and not at all.

> In a sense it was the official forum of solaris x86 users. In good old times,
> I could received even 50 messages in a day. Now the list practically dead...

I was hoping to learn what mailing list you think on.
Some lists are intentionally squashed by their owners after receiving
better offers. Etc.

>> I exactly do not expect Solaris going anyway but being solid solution
>> for the long-term support.
>
> This will happen only if people are paying Oracle...

And they surely are paying. Big bucks for tens of years.

>> Anyway, OpenOffice was head over to the Apache
>> foundation and that is a good thing, yet 'rolling released' vs '
>> named versions' differences are also there.
>
> They could not do otherwise and that is why they gave it away.
> In fact, who would buy OpenOffice when LibreOffice could do the
> same things and it was free! There was no profit for them. And

Sun used to sell StarOffice with support, even while having OpenOffice
available for non-paying customers.
It would be interesting to know if there is any revenue from LibreOffice
support at all and who is getting payed for support, if any.

> although they have "donated" to the "community", they cannot
> modify the code so to replace the compiler for Solaris-like
> systems to GCC and so it is impossible to compile it under any
> Solaris-like system. Obviously, it does not compile under Solaris
> either. Big donation!

I didn't know that, are you saying that Apache OpenOffice can be
compiled only using SolarisStudio compiler, running on Linux, or something?