[OpenIndiana-discuss] 2031 is near

Adam Števko adam.stevko at gmail.com
Sat Jan 28 23:53:39 UTC 2017

Hello,

> Of course it is related to OI and there is no other list to mention it on actually, that is closer to the topic.
> I don't think asking people not to discuss and talk is positive community influence, asking people to shut up is an negative influence.

No, it is not. If Oracle decides to stop developing Solaris we can do nothing about. I am not asking people to stop discussing. I am asking then stop discussing about something, we:

1) have no control over and is useless to debate
2) facts are misinterpreted as Alan pointed out

If that energy was spent working on the project itself, we would be accomplish more. There are around 30 pull requests on github, which are pending review / testing and no one has replied to my threads when I asked people for review.

>>  I know that many people still care about Solaris and what happens to it, but please get over it.
>
> Oi iteslf uses IPS for packages, uses Xorg and many other things are shared with Oracle Solaris open source released components.
> It is that Solaris supported nature and shared code up to illumos birth, makes it very interesting topic for OI/illumos, sharing in most cases users pool, where some people might run illumos/Openindiana on some machines or Solaris on others.

The fact that OI uses IPS/Xorg from Oracle Solaris does not mean that those repositories will vanish overnight if Oracle stop producing updates (we still have copy of those). Our IPS is not the same as in Oracle Solaris and having up to date version on OI would be great. There are also a few problems with getting older IPS features (e.g. zone proxy) working on OI. Why do people tend to waste time with useless debates? There is work to be done..

>> It's been 7 years since illumos and Solaris separated and illumos chose different path. illumos/OpenIndiana has it's own future and instead of debating Oracle business decisions, go search illumos bug tracker and report / fix bugs, write blog posts about illumos/OpenIndiana etc.
>
> On the other hand, if there is no reaction to media bashing on Solaris, next time, random writer start to bash OI or illumos there would be no one to stop the flood of Linux drones.

Eh, if somebody is bashing OI somewhere, you should debate it there, so others can see it. Debating it on this mailing list is of no use (as not everybody is following it)

> illumos and Openindiana does not compete with Solaris, they each have they use cases and support models.

It doesn’t as illumos has much smaller user base as Solaris does and illumos never had a goal to compete with Solaris. illumos’ ancestry is just an advantage for us, but it doesn’t mean that Solaris affects us anyhow, e.g. SmartOS?Nexenta are doing fine and are not related to Solaris at all.

> Linux is illumos competition and Linux drones are bashing everything non-Linux on internet news comments, so there is even more then need to react to media bias.

You should react where the bashing was published and not here. What’s the point of debating the bashing here if people who bash OI/illumos will not read it?

> I would actually rather select Oracle Solaris then some corporate Linux distro if I am forced on having dead-serious mission-critical support contracts.
> Recognizing benefits of Linux, but even after more then 8 years since Opensolaris 2009.06, usability for serious use of any Linux distribution is far below Openindiana/illumos.

That’s just your pick. However, 99% of the market thinks differently..

> Feel free not to respond if find topic uninteresting.
> For younger audience directing not to talk on public mailing lists is out of scope of administration and forums are not the mailing lists. Messages/posts can not go back and be deleted and one can not "lock thread" or topic, so that is what one needs to get over, getting away people's freedom of expression and freedom of talk.

I am not saying that people shouldn’t discuss things on this mailing. I am just asking people to follow a simple rule and to discuss things related to OpenIndiana. After all, this mailing list is called OpenIndiana-discuss and neither solaris-discuss or oracle-discuss. If somebody wishes to debate one unrelated corporation’s business decision, please do so, but not on this mailing list.

Thanks for understanding!

Cheers,
Adam