[OpenIndiana-discuss] How Do You Install OI Hipster On A GPT-Partitioned Disk?

Jay F. Shachter jay at m5.chicago.il.us
Sun Jan 29 11:58:51 UTC 2017

Esteemed Colleagues:

I am trying to install OI Hipster on a laptop, and some other time I
may tell you about the installation environment's inability to sense
the builtin pointer device so I had to attach a USB mouse.  And maybe
some other time I may tell you about how I would type a character on
the keyboard into a terminal-emulator window, and I would see the
character echo a few hundred times (this is not an exaggeration), so I
had to attach a USB keyboard.  Right now I am writing about something
that I have not been able to fix by sticking something into a USB
port, namely, the apparent inability of the installation program to
see the GPT partition table.

When you click (with the USB mouse, of course) on the "Install
OpenIndiana" icon, the first question it asks you is "Where should
OpenIndiana be installed"?  That same screen asserts that "the
following partitions, in physical order, were found on the disk" and
then contrafactually states that I have 1 slice (forgive me if I still
call them "slices") of type "EFI" of size 931.5 gigabyes, followed by
3 slices of type "unused".  Nope.  I have 10 slices, and slice 9 has
type 0xbf00, which designates it to be my Solaris slice.  How do I
install OI Hipster into it?  Thank you in advance for any and all
replies.

                        Jay F. Shachter
                        6424 N Whipple St
                        Chicago IL  60645-4111
                                (1-773)7613784   landline
                                (1-410)9964737   GoogleVoice
                                jay at m5.chicago.il.us
                                http://m5.chicago.il.us

                        "Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur"