[OpenIndiana-discuss] How Do You Install OI Hipster On A GPT-Partitioned Disk?

Alexander Pyhalov alp at rsu.ru
Mon Jan 30 11:08:02 UTC 2017

On 01/29/17 02:58 PM, Jay F. Shachter wrote:

> Esteemed Colleagues:
>
> I am trying to install OI Hipster on a laptop, and some other time I
> may tell you about the installation environment's inability to sense
> the builtin pointer device so I had to attach a USB mouse.  And maybe
> some other time I may tell you about how I would type a character on
> the keyboard into a terminal-emulator window, and I would see the
> character echo a few hundred times (this is not an exaggeration), so I
> had to attach a USB keyboard.  Right now I am writing about something
> that I have not been able to fix by sticking something into a USB
> port, namely, the apparent inability of the installation program to
> see the GPT partition table.
>
> When you click (with the USB mouse, of course) on the "Install
> OpenIndiana" icon, the first question it asks you is "Where should
> OpenIndiana be installed"?  That same screen asserts that "the
> following partitions, in physical order, were found on the disk" and
> then contrafactually states that I have 1 slice (forgive me if I still
> call them "slices") of type "EFI" of size 931.5 gigabyes, followed by
> 3 slices of type "unused".  Nope.  I have 10 slices, and slice 9 has
> type 0xbf00, which designates it to be my Solaris slice.  How do I
> install OI Hipster into it?  Thank you in advance for any and all
> replies.

Hello.

1) Currently GUI installer is not evolving. All features, if added, are
added to text installer. You can use text install ISO or text installer
from GUI ISO.
2) Text installer can install OS on whole GPT disk, but not on GPT
partition.
3) It can be possible to create layout manually and install OS on GPT
partition if you do it by hands.
https://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/Advanced+-+Manual+installation+of+OpenIndiana+from+LiveCD+media
contains instructions on doing this (perhaps, a bit outdated).

--
Best regards,
Alexander Pyhalov,