[OpenIndiana-discuss] New request for info `Are we able to install recent vbox versions'

Peter Tribble peter.tribble at gmail.com
Sun Jul 23 08:50:25 UTC 2017

On Sun, Jul 16, 2017 at 5:34 PM, Harry Putnam <reader at newsguy.com> wrote:

> I posted this query July 9th but got no takers far as a response.
> Is this question in appropriate here?  Is it a foolish question?
>
> If both answers are no, I'd really like to hear from someone who
> either knows first hand or has a solid opinion about it.
>
> I don't want to start messing up my OS if installing qt5 and trying to
> run recent version of Vbox are likely to cause me grief, I might not
> be able to contend with.
> But I do need to get a newer version of Vbox installed and working.

VirtualBox 5.0.x works fine (may need the vboxconfig.sh patch).

VirtualBox 5.1.x doesn't work, most likely due to illumos bug 5709.

You don't need qt5, as VirtualBox comes with its own. (Talk about getting
qt5
is more so that VirtualBox can be built from source to avoid compatibility
issues with the downloaded package.)

> From July 9th:
>
>   From: Harry Putnam <reader at newsguy.com>
>   Subject: Should we be able to install and run recent vbox versions
>   Newsgroups: gmane.os.openindiana.general
>   To: openindiana-discuss at openindiana.org
>   Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2017 17:56:53 -0400 (6 days, 18 hours, 29 minutes ago)
>
>   Setup: OS: Openindian/hipster (A branch of Solaris 11)
>    Hardware: HP xw8600 workstation:
>              2x Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5470 @ 3.33GHz - 32 GB Ram
>   I've heard that recent versions of Vbox (above 5.0.X) are based on qt5
>
>   Should we be able to install recent versions of Vbox from the VBox web
>   pages, provided we have qt5 installed?

-Peter Tribble