[OpenIndiana-discuss] Hardware list

Kai Windle kaiwindle at gmail.com
Wed Jul 26 17:34:49 UTC 2017

On 26/07/2017 07:42, Alexander Pyhalov wrote:
> On 07/26/17 09:21 AM, Kai Windle wrote:
>> Good morning,
>>
>> Is there a list of compatible hardware like the FreeBSD project has?
>> I tried to install on a spare hard drive last night on my pc since that
>> box doesn't support virtual machines. During the boot up X wouldn't
>> start (to be honest I was too distracted to take notes as to why it
>> didn't) but I've come to the conclusion that maybe some of my hardware
>> isn't compatible just yet.
>>

> Hi.
> There's OI HCL https://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/Community+HCL and
> illumos HCL https://www.illumos.org/hcl/.
> For graphics it's better to rely to Nvidia or Intel adapters, DRI on
> AMD/ATI adapters will work only with software rendering (if it will at
> all). The exact list of PCI ids of supported Intel adapters can be
> found here
> https://github.com/illumos/gfx-drm/blob/master/usr/src/pkg/manifests/driver-graphics-drm.mf#L60
> (at least these are adapters which are supposed to be handled by our
> driver).
> Without more information (at least Xorg log) it's hardly possible to
> say what's happening.

Hi,

I tried again to boot the X environment from the Live CD with no joy I did
manage to grab my Xconfig file and upload it to a remote server but I'm not
sure about the rules regarding posting the X log so for now I won't
include it
here. It does seem as though my graphics card isn't supported
said card is Nvidia GTX 970, the log says it couldn't find any screens
attached

"Application/graphical-login/lightdm: default failed: transitioned to
maintenance
(see 'svcs-xv' for details)

Is the error message I see. I did login to the live CD using jack:jack
and try to run
nvidia-xconfig, I also ran startx and same thing happened.

A link the log file
https://pastebin.com/zUXPeZFv

Hope this is more useful.

Thanks