[OpenIndiana-discuss] roughly normal rsyncing data point to point on localhost

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Mon Jul 24 22:48:49 UTC 2017

Till Wegmüller <toasterson at gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Harry
>
> Could it be that you are copying many small files from a single
> harddrive to another folder inside that drive?

No smaller than one might incur in an operating OS.  For example; not
hundreds of thousands of emails or news posts.

> If so it could be that you are unable to take advantage of COW
> features because ZFS thinks it needs to write every block on disk.
>
> Or are you copying a Virtualbox Disk image? In that case check if it
> has preallocated itself during the transfer. (It can Happen that the
> unallocated parts of an image are sent over the wire aswell)

I was rsyncing from a [...]/.zfs/snapshot on real hardware putting
files back into place in another location on that same host. (Those
files had been deleted).  The VM part is involved only in that the
snapshot was of disks a vm creates.

So the rsync was proceding on an OI host on real hardware, both source
and destination on same host.