[OpenIndiana-discuss] roughly normal rsyncing data point to point on localhost

Till Wegmüller toasterson at gmail.com
Sun Jul 23 08:10:16 UTC 2017

Hi Harry

Could it be that you are copying many small files from a single
harddrive to another folder inside that drive?

If so it could be that you are unable to take advantage of COW features
because ZFS thinks it needs to write every block on disk.

Or are you copying a Virtualbox Disk image? In that case check if it has
preallocated itself during the transfer. (It can Happen that the
unallocated parts of an image are sent over the wire aswell)

Copying speed depends extremely on situation unfortunately. And if you
are copying inside the same dataset you can take advantage of COW and it
will be almost instant as the FS does not copy the blocks.

---
Greetings
Till