[OpenIndiana-discuss] cloning an OI system to VDMK

Daniel Kjar dkjar at elmira.edu
Thu Jul 27 15:05:19 UTC 2017

My old hardware is dying and I want to move my system to a virtualized
environment.  I have been digging for ways to do this but I am not sure
if I am starting to get frustrated.  I wanted to do flarcreate but
apparently that never happened for solaris 11.  I then looked at
conversion P2V stuff but that led nowhere but to some proprietary tools
I had don't have a license for.  Currently I am installing a
distro-const iso into Virtualbox but I suspect that is not going to
produce what I need (a pure clone of my old machine).

It is only  a single rpool (file storage is NFSed in from another box).
Any suggestions?  zfs send the rpool to the new virtual machine I made
using distro-const?  Will that even work being the rpool and all?  is
there some super easy dd way that I am missing? This system has been
running for over a decade and is crusty as hell, I doubt there is any
way I could rebuild it from scratch so I would rather not.  I don't have
the time to try and get perl and imagemagick working together again.

[root at bio2:~]>zpool status
   pool: rpool
  state: ONLINE
   scan: scrub repaired 0 in 1h58m with 0 errors on Mon Jan  2 16:31:55 2017
config:

         NAME          STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
         rpool         ONLINE       0     0     0
           mirror-0    ONLINE       0     0     0
             c4t0d0s0  ONLINE       0     0     0
             c4t1d0s0  ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors
[root at bio2:~]>zfs list
NAME                          USED  AVAIL  REFER  MOUNTPOINT
rpool                         205G  23.6G  46.5K  /rpool
rpool/ROOT                    192G  23.6G    31K  legacy
rpool/ROOT/openindiana       14.7M  23.6G  5.64G  /
rpool/ROOT/openindiana-1     50.8M  23.6G  6.34G  /
rpool/ROOT/openindiana-a8-1  42.0M  23.6G  98.8G  /
rpool/ROOT/openindiana-a8-2  14.2M  23.6G   104G  /
rpool/ROOT/openindiana-a8-3   192G  23.6G   119G  /
rpool/dump                   6.00G  23.6G  6.00G  -
rpool/swap                   6.38G  29.8G   135M  -
[root at bio2:~]>