[OpenIndiana-discuss] cloning an OI system to VDMK

Alexander Pyhalov alp at rsu.ru
Thu Jul 27 15:41:14 UTC 2017

On 07/27/17 06:05 PM, Daniel Kjar wrote:
> My old hardware is dying and I want to move my system to a virtualized
> environment.  I have been digging for ways to do this but I am not sure
> if I am starting to get frustrated.  I wanted to do flarcreate but
> apparently that never happened for solaris 11.  I then looked at
> conversion P2V stuff but that led nowhere but to some proprietary tools
> I had don't have a license for.  Currently I am installing a
> distro-const iso into Virtualbox but I suspect that is not going to
> produce what I need (a pure clone of my old machine).
>
> It is only  a single rpool (file storage is NFSed in from another box).
> Any suggestions?  zfs send the rpool to the new virtual machine I made
> using distro-const?  Will that even work being the rpool and all?  is
> there some super easy dd way that I am missing? This system has been
> running for over a decade and is crusty as hell, I doubt there is any
> way I could rebuild it from scratch so I would rather not.  I don't have
> the time to try and get perl and imagemagick working together again.

Hi.
I remember moving my SXCE/OI installations from physical hardware to
VMware. I don't remember how did I convert production one. Likely,
VMware Converter. But I remember using qemu-img to convert physical
disks to qcow2/vdk images. And yes, after you moved VM to 'new
hardware', you'll have to boot from boot media and regenerate boot archive.

--
Best regards,
Alexander Pyhalov,