[OpenIndiana-discuss] Bug in emacs with latest Hipster

Gary Mills gary_mills at fastmail.fm
Sat Jun 24 02:17:08 UTC 2017

On Fri, Jun 23, 2017 at 05:35:50PM +0300, Alexander Pyhalov wrote:
> On 06/23/17 04:49 PM, Gary Mills wrote:
> >I've always used emacs as my editor, but when I tried it on a recent
> >Hipster, I got a surprise.  It happens when I run emacs in curses
> >mode, and when I paste some text into the emacs window, inside a
> >gnome-terminal window.  For example, I have this text in another
> >gnome-terminal window:
> >
> >     words pasted in
> >
> >When I paste it into the emacs window, I see this:
> >
> >     e[200~words pasted ine[201~
> >
> >I have to delete the excess characters to get the correct text.  If I
> >just type the same thing into the emacs window, the text is correct to
> >begin with.  The excess characters only appear when I paste something
> >in.
>
> Same emacs here. Don't see this behavior. But I don't use emacs routinely.

I should have mentioned that I use the left mouse button to select
text, and the middle button to paste it into emacs.

It seems like this feature in emacs 25.1 is the cause of my problems:

    Emacs now uses "bracketed paste mode" on text terminals that support
    it.  Bracketed paste mode causes text terminals to wrap pasted text in
    special escape sequences that allow Emacs to tell the difference
    between text you type and text you paste from other applications.
    Emacs then avoids interpreting each character in the pasted text as it
    does with keyboard input, which results in a paste experience similar
    to that under a window system, and significant performance
    improvements when pasting large amounts of text.

    Bracketed paste mode is disabled by default, so Emacs automatically
    enables it at startup if the terminal supports it.

I wonder if gnome-terminal, running locally on Solaris 11.3, is
wrongly saying that it supports this mode?

Now I need to find a way to disable it.